2.3
Nutrition Description
Quality of Food

Hello my name is Gabriel Parker, I am a senior in high school and have been looking for a job for quite some time now. It is hard to find a job in my little down of Durango, Colorado.

I finally got a call from Jimmy Johns, I had applied, but hoped for the best. I got a call. I got an interview and that went great. The manager (John) seemed to like me and so did Andrea (the interviewer and head of Durango CO and Angry Farmington NM stores).

I have a lot I need to pay for, I have monthly car payments, books for my college classes i'm taking, and loads of other things I have to pay for. Getting a job in a small town is hard because they don't need a lot of people. Anyways I get done with the interview and I am excited, I finally have a job and I can now pay for things and not have to constantly say the book is "coming" when I cant pay for it in the first place. So later that day in the evening I get a call from Andrea and she says that I have the job and to come in on Sunday for a 11-3:00 shift, I was like sweet!

Thank You! and she was like come at 10:30 with your drivers license and Social Security card and so Sunday rolls around. I'm excited for my first day of work! I arrived at the Jimmy Johns in Durango, Colorado at 10:23.

My mom and dad have told me many times to arrive a little earlier so it looks good that you want to work or whatever it is you are doing. I arrived early, I walked in at 10:27 on time. I meet an employee named Jessie he was nice, he introduced himself to me and was welcoming. He said the manager was out getting a drink and would be back soon.

A couple minutes pass and the manager walked in his name is John. I said "Hey!" with a smile and everything because I was excited to be working. He was nice to me during my interview so I felt comfortable around him. He said "Gabriel?" (no smile at all, the friendly energy was gone.) and I said "yes." and then he said "Why are you here?!

Andrea said you started at 11." Right here remember that sentence. I replied " Andrea told me to come at 10:30 with my license and SS card to get put into the system." and he was like "No, Andrea sends people at 10:00 not 10:30." so it went from that sentence, you should be here at 11 for your shift, to you should be here at 10. It makes it seem that he didn't even know I was coming at 10 or 10:30. So he said he was going to call Andrea, I said okay.

He went into the back room and called her and I was sitting there embarrassed and in shock, I swear on my life she said 10:30, I even wrote it down on a piece of paper so I wouldn't forget. He came into the front area and was still on the phone and said "uh huh, ya Gabriel, okay, bye." So then he came over to me and said "Ya Andrea said she told you 10:00. So i'm just going to not hire you. Good luck.

I was like What?!! I came in at 10:30 because I thought that was when I was to be at work. I didn't get the job on my first day because of a 30 minute misunderstanding, not several hours, several minutes. I said " I'm sorry, I thought she said 10:30" and I walked out bummed out and feeling embarrassed.

I got in my car like about to cry, I needed this job. I needed the money to pay for college books and my car payments and gas. I then called Andrea (she was just on the phone with the manager like 3 minutes ago so she would most definitely be by her phone, or he just pretended to be on the phone with her and just told me she said 10:00.) it goes to voice mail and I tell her what happened. I called her again once I got home (15 minutes away) and I called her again, same thing voice mail.

I just wanted to write this email to you or whom ever is reading this because I believe this is outrageous, it is ridiculous. This is unfair and unjust.

I didn't get the job over a 30 minute misunderstanding. Thank you for reading this, I hope you can get back to me.

Sincerely, Gabriel Parker

Reason of review: Work Experience or Job Application.

I liked: Employees.

I didn't like: Manager.

Comments

h.kitchener

Your first lesson in the real world, son. It is not fair or just sometimes, actually more often unjust and unfair most of the time.

You have to be able to roll with the punches, as they say. No one cares that you need a job to pay for books or anything else. That's just the way it is. You apparently ran across a couple of rude, uncaring and no doubt not the brightest people working for that company.

Again, it is what it is. Pick yourself up and find another job---any job. Take anything you can if you must. You are not owed a job.

By the way, Durango isn't that small. We went thru there last year while "out west." Nice town from what I could see. By the time I was 16 I had a paper route, worked for many farmers shoveling manure, etc. and had a part time job at a Kroger store 35 miles away.

I saved enough money by working part time in college and in the summers to fully pay for a 4 year college education. Never, ever borrow money from anyone but your immediate family if you are short paying your tuition.

Student loans would be a disaster for you, as it now is for tens of thousands of former college graduates. Good luck.

to h.kitchener #1561530

to Anonymous #1561538

Durango is a small town when you live in it, passing by it may seem large but when you live in it, it is actually very very small.

to Anonymous #1561576

You make believe it’s small but trust the rest of us, it’s not

to Anonymous #1563478

Very tiny. Stayed 2 nights while passing through and I have to say it's one of the tiniest towns I have been to.